Fathers Rights


Child support guidelines in Ohio were designed back in the 1980s. That was before everyone carried a cellphone, before the Internet was essential to business and when paying $2 or $3 for a gallon of gas would have been unfathomable. Clearly a lot has changed during this time. However, guidelines for fathers rights when it comes to child support have not changed since their implementation.

Men are beginning to see themselves as having the right to have an active role in the lives of their children. Fathers today are not limited to only providing for their families as the breadwinners. Now when parents share joint custody of children, it is called “shared parenting.” However, child support is based on the incomes of the parties — not based on parenting duties.

Sometimes the courts are biased in favor of mothers. Sometimes fathers are shortchanged when it comes to visitation and fathers rights. While not as common as it was years ago, this still can happen, and having an attorney is vital to having your side of the story heard accurately and fully.

If your child support situation has changed significantly since you were last in court, it may be time to revisit your case and fathers rights. Perhaps the mother was given full or partial custody of the children when they were little. Some time has passed and the mother’s life has changed, and she’s not doing a good job raising the children, either intentionally or because of extreme circumstances beyond her control. Perhaps the children are having behavioral issues or are not doing well in school because of conflict or stress at home. You want partial or full custody now. These are situations in which having an attorney is necessary.

As a father looking out for the best interest of your children, you can ask for a modification of the custody as long as there has been a substantial change in the circumstances of the child since the last custody order was issued. Perhaps you are paying child support currently, but you believe the amount of support should be adjusted. Maybe you have your children more than half of the time and are providing clothing and most of their meals. You may be able to work with an attorney to file for a deviation from what is called the standard order.

In the court of law where many magistrates are women and mothers themselves, some clients find it particularly beneficial and convincing to have a female attorney representing them in matters regarding fathers rights.